Many families will be going on holiday in a caravan during the upcoming half-term break. Several Mercedes-Benz cars such as the E-Class Saloon, Estate or Coupé, GLA-Class and M-Class make ideal towing vehicles.
But if you’ve never towed a caravan before, it can be daunting prospect.
Here are some useful tips to help you to tow safely:
1. Check within your handbook that the weight of the loaded caravan is within your car’s towing ability. If you own a Mercedes-Benz, your local dealer will be happy to advise you.
2. Never carry passengers or pets in the caravan when on the move.
3. When towing, brake earlier than normal and accelerate more slowly.
4. Do not exceed 50mph on single carriageways or 60mph on dual carriageways.
5. Take corners more widely to avoid clipping the kerb.
6. Extension mirrors will improve your rear view, but remember to remove them when you’re not towing or you will be breaking the law.
7. Don’t forget that you are not allowed to tow in the outside lane of a motorway (unless you are instructed to do so).
8. Loading your caravan carefully and evenly will help to avoid potentially dangerous snaking and pitching.
9. The number plate on the back of your caravan must show your car’s registration number and be illuminated at night.
10. If you are holding up traffic behind you, be considerate and pull-over when safe to do so and let other vehicles pass.