In 2014 the Mercedes-Benz S-Class has swept all before it, winning a plethora of awards for being the year’s Best Luxury Car. So, we thought we’d take this opportunity to look at some of the design features that make the S-Class so special:
- The S-Class includes a function designed to mimic a hot stone massage. The feeling of a hot stone is replicated by virtue of the seat having 14 separately actuated air cushions with an integrated warming function
- The latest DISTRONIC PLUS with Steering Assist and Stop&Go Pilot means the S-Class can drive itself under certain circumstances. The system’s on-board cameras and radar sensors detect lane markings and other vehicles, enabling the car to brake, accelerate and even navigate moderate turns
- The S-Class can be optioned with an innovative new perfume system housed in the car’s glove box, with a total of four different scents available
- Headlights on the S-Class feature a mini-computer that controls state-of-the-art technology, such as ‘Adaptive Highbeam Assist Plus’ (which lets the cars’ high beams stay on continuously by masking-out other vehicles on the road) and ‘Night View Assist Plus’ (essentially night vision for the road)
- The S-Class is the first vehicle to use ‘eyes’ to control its suspension settings, with a pair of cameras mounted on the windscreen constantly scanning the road ahead for imperfections
- The new model S-Class is the first-ever ‘bulbless’ car. Instead the car deploys LEDs: 56 in its headlights, 35 in the rear lights, four for the rear fog lamp and around 300 to light the interior
All of this casts a light on precisely why the new Mercedes-Benz S-Class has successfully scooped so many accolades.